New Naratif is Fundraising!
New Naratif is a 100% ad-free, member funded, non-profit movement for Southeast Asian democracy. Membership fees fund high quality, independent journalism and create positive change in our communities. This year, we need to raise US$226,336 to continue our operations. Please consider becoming a member or donating today!
To learn more about basic human rights, you could start with this primer by Amnesty International and then the illustrated version of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, also available in Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish. Here are resources for educators and students who want to discuss human rights.
Explore stories on New Naratif about people all over Southeast Asia standing up for their rights or the rights of others:
- I am Human, Just Like You: the story of Papuan activist Benny Wenda.
- Why Is the Protection of Minorities Important?: a comic on why we need to think about minority representation and rights.
- The Audacity of Angry Folks: musicians and poets in Myanmar speak up for rights.
- Fighting for Their Land: Orang Asli indigenous groups in Malaysia wage a constant struggle for legal rights to their ancestral land.
- Growing a Movement in Activism-Averse Singapore: tracing the history of the annual Pink Dot LGBT rights rally in a difficult political landscape.
- Red-Tagging the Philippines’ Young Activists: students and human rights defenders in the Philippines face violent crackdowns on dissent.
- Explainer: The Ahmaddiya in Indonesia: the Ahmaddiya Muslim community face religious repression and are denied free expression of their beliefs.