New Naratif is a movement for democracy, freedom of information, and freedom of expression in Southeast Asia. We tell stories that empower Southeast Asians to create positive change. Learn more about us here.
At New Naratif, visual communications have been an important part of our storytelling. Our visual identity has been carefully designed to engage with our community and amplify our missions. Throughout the years, our design has been produced by a one-person team. As we’re committed to creating more impact in the region, we need more talents to elevate our visual productions. Join us!
About the Job
As the Digital Designer, your major responsibilities include:
- Work with the Art and Design team to implement New Naratif’s visual identity into integrated collateral designs, social media graphics, digital assets, layout, in-house illustrations, and campaign-based visuals.
- Assist the Art and Design Manager with day-to-day visual productions.
- Collaborate with all departments (Editorial, Community, and Research and Advocacy) to visually present and promote New Naratif stories, events, and products.
Strong candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Excellent understanding and practice of design principles. In New Naratif, we’re committed to producing not only eye-appealing designs, but also visuals that communicate effectively. We prioritise people-centered designs that can be as accessible as possible. You must show excellent skills in typography and sensibility towards visual hierarchy and readability through a distinctive portfolio.
- Creative and critical thinking to problem-solve and adapt. Our team and community are diverse. As part of the Art and Design team, you need to be able to accommodate various objectives from multiple departments, projects, and target audiences. We favour candidates who are open to exploring various visual approaches and styles, and have multiple visual communication skills such as editorial and promotional layout, illustration, and video editing. Familiarity with information design and user interface is a plus.
- Proficiency in digital design tools, particularly Adobe. New Naratif’s visual products are various, from static graphics to moving images. We expect candidates to have advanced skills in fundamental tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign; and intermediate skills in Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Candidates with background in other tools including the open-source ones are welcome, but collaborative file formats are preferred.
- Familiarity with human rights issues and digital media and/or non-profit organisations. While design may be universal, the work culture in the industry isn’t. Designing for non-profit organizations requires compassionate professionalism that puts people and political values at the center of our works. We prefer candidates that can adapt to our work culture as both a newsroom and non-profit organisation.
- Communication and teamwork. You will be coordinating and interacting with other team members in a virtual office, spread across Southeast Asia. You need to be able to communicate and share information effectively over video calls and messaging apps.
- Rooted in Southeast Asia. New Naratif is first and foremost a platform for the people of Southeast Asia to imagine and then create a better Southeast Asia. You need to love and understand this region and its history, in all its complexity and diversity. We want you to live in a Southeast Asian country, and be connected to that nation’s communities and everyday experiences.
Due to our remote, online working environment, you have to be responsible, communicate and collaborate well online, and be willing to work from home or your own office. New Naratif uses Trello, Wire, and Google Suite (especially Docs, Sheets, and Meet) to collaborate. You should have professional-level English, both written and spoken.
If you’re ready for a new professional challenge, please send an email to PJ Thum, our Managing Director, at pingtjin.thum AT newnaratif.com, and Ellena Ekarahendy, our Art and Design Manager, at ellena.ekarahendy AT newnaratif.com, with your CV, a cover letter, and relevant sample of works/portfolio. Please include the names and contact information for two character referees.
This role is in the Art and Design Department and reports to the Art and Design Manager. It is full-time (40 hours/week). The salary is US$750/month.
We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace for all employees regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, or disability.
Recruitment Timeline (updated)
Application open: 1 December 2021 – 31 January 2022
Portfolio shortlist and technical test: February 2022
Online video interview with team members: February 2022