New Naratif is a movement for democracy, freedom of information, and freedom of expression in Southeast Asia. We tell stories that empower Southeast Asians to create positive change. Learn more about us here.
At New Naratif, we are a community and a movement. A movement is only as strong as its members, hence New Naratif aspires to be 100% member-funded. Our readers and members have a direct line to our team via Discord, and we host regular online events with members. Join us in building a strong community today!
About the Job
As the Community Administrator, your major responsibilities include:
- Oversee New Naratif’s social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discord and LinkedIn.
- Reply and maintain inquiries from our social media audience, Discord community and members.
- Collaborate with the Editorial and Community team to promote New Naratif stories and events as well as drive traffic to the website using social media.
- Work with the Community team to develop social media marketing campaigns.
- Assist the Community Manager with event planning and community building activities.
- Create content that promotes audience interaction, increases audience presence on Discord, and encourages audience participation.
- Provide general support for membership engagement, such as creating and verifying memberships, navigating payment and log-in issues, assisting with event reminders.
Strong candidates will have the following skills:
- Have a marketing/writing background. As the key person overseeing social media, you should be comfortable creating content for social media and communicating with our audience.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and Discord. You will be responsible for engaging with our community and increasing audience engagement as well as drive traffic to our website using Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.
- Excellent customer service skills. A friendly attitude and patience is paramount when interacting with members about their membership related queries.
- Communication and teamwork. You will be coordinating and interacting with other team members in a virtual office, spread across Southeast Asia. You need to be able to communicate and share information effectively over video calls and messaging apps.
- Ability to problem-solve and adapt. Social media is ever-evolving and we have to adapt to changes in communication. You should stay up to date on changes introduced to social media platforms and come up with creative solutions to engage with our community as well as members.
- Rooted in Southeast Asia. New Naratif is first and foremost a platform for the people of Southeast Asia to imagine and then create a better Southeast Asia. You need to love and understand this region and its history, in all its complexity and diversity. We want you to live in a Southeast Asian country, and be connected to that nation’s communities and everyday experiences.
Due to our remote, online working environment, you have to be responsible, communicate and collaborate well online, and be willing to work from home or your own office. New Naratif uses Trello, Wire, and Google Suite (especially Docs, Sheets, and Meet) to collaborate, and Wordpress and WooCommerce to run our membership back end. You should have native-level English, both written and spoken.
If you’re ready for a new professional challenge, please send an email to PJ Thum, our Managing Director, at pingtjin.thum AT newnaratif.com, with your CV and a cover letter. Please include the names and contact information for two character referees.
This role is in the Community Department and reports to the Community Manager. It is full-time (40 hours/week). Salary is US$750/month.
We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace for all employees regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, or disability.