New Naratif is a movement for democracy, freedom of information, and freedom of expression in Southeast Asia. We publish information, empower people to create change, and advocate for progressive values in Southeast Asia. Learn more about us here.
We are looking for a new Editor-in-Chief (EIC) to lead and oversee all editorial outputs of the organisation, including long-form journalism articles, research articles, podcasts, videos, and our award-winning comics, as well as manage 4-5 editorial team members all of whom work remotely, and closely collaborate with our marketing, social media, membership engagement and other staff.
Strong candidates will have the following capabilities:
1. Editing, journalism, and research skills. The EIC must have native-level English ability (spoken and written) and be equally skilled editing a 1,500-word news analysis or explainer piece, and a 3,000+ word narrative feature, investigation, or research article. You should, preferably, be bilingual in English and a Southeast Asian language.
The EIC must have experience fact-checking, proofreading and editing articles as a final editor before publication. Newsroom management experience is preferred but not required. Experience editing or producing audio, photo, video, and other visuals is desired. While the EIC will not need to commission or first edit podcasts or comics, they will need to apply their news judgement across media to sign off on all editorial outputs to ensure quality and consistency across the board.
What does your editorial experience include?
2. Strategic thinking. New Naratif is not just a media organisation; we are a movement for positive democratic change, and we seek to achieve this by publishing news and information in a wide variety of accessible formats and languages. We tell stories of importance, meaning, and relevance to the people of Southeast Asia; which governments and establishment interests discourage or actively suppress from being told, and which the mainstream media cannot or do not want to carry.
We aim to publish journalism, research, podcasts, videos, and comics which explain and explore important forces which shape our lives, which help increase or change our understanding of the world around us, or which help us understand why we think and act the way we do. These stories aim to transcend narrow boundaries of race, religion, or state, to reflect Southeast Asia as it is lived and experienced by its people. The EIC is in overall charge of all this editorial output. The EIC needs to make all these outputs work together, while working with other editors and team members to co-create and oversee the execution of a clear, coherent editorial strategy.
What is your editorial/strategic vision for New Naratif?
3. Leadership. New Naratif has no office. We all work remotely. We’re all passionate, and deeply principled. We aspire to a high level of moral values. We’re here to model best practices as a transparent, ethical, progressive organisation. We’ll demand all this from you and hold you accountable. As our leader, you need to inspire, motivate, and keep everyone on the same page. You’ll need to manage, counsel, and offer empathy and respect. You’ll be a public ambassador for who we are and what we stand for. You’ll need to do all this over video calls and messaging apps.
How do you lead?
4. Adaptability. We’re a data-driven company. We have regular reports on readership numbers. We survey our members and audience regularly. We use all this information to change and improve ourselves. Also, we adapt to new challenges and seize new opportunities. We’re constantly trying to stay in front of authoritarian governments who are seeking to shut us down. We have evolved rapidly since our founding in September 2017 and will continue to evolve in ways that we cannot anticipate now. You need to lead this evolution while doing all this on a tiny budget.
How’s your flexibility? Tell us about a time when you adapted.
5. Rooted in Southeast Asia. New Naratif is first and foremost a platform for the people of Southeast Asia to imagine and then create a better Southeast Asia. You need to love and understand this region and its history, in all its complexity and diversity. You need to be willing to learn, explore, and grow alongside this region. It means you need to look beyond the borders and boundaries which are currently imposed on us. We want you to live in a Southeast Asian country, and be connected to that nation’s communities and everyday experiences.
What does Southeast Asia mean to you?
Due to our remote, online working environment, you have to be responsible, communicate and collaborate well online, and be willing to work from home or your own office. If you’re ready for a new professional challenge, and the chance to take on an Editor-in-Chief role that is so much more, please send an email to PJ Thum, our Managing Director, at pingtjin.thum AT newnaratif.com, with your CV and a cover letter answering the five questions above.
We regret, due to an ongoing conflict with the government of Singapore, we are unable to hire anyone who resides in Singapore.