New Naratif is a movement for democracy, freedom of information, and freedom of expression in Southeast Asia. We tell stories which empower Southeast Asians to create positive change. Learn more about us here.
New Naratif aspires to be the gold standard for running an organisation in an ethical and transparent way. Our mission is to demonstrate that an organisation based on strong ethical principles is not just viable and sustainable but successful. Financial transparency is critical to this: we are open about how much we make, how much we spend, and what we spend it on.
About the Job
As the Financial Administrator, your major responsibilities include:
- Tracking New Naratif’s income and expenses on a weekly basis.
- Reviewing and processing reimbursements.
- Creating monthly financial reports, including income statements and balance sheets.
- Generating financial transparency reports twice a year.
- Monitoring income and expenses related to grants/funding from third-party sources and prepare necessary reporting for grant funding bodies and major donors.
- Under the direction of the management team, preparing financial analyses of the business, including annual budget projections.
- Liaising with company secretary/auditor/third party accountant for preparation of annual returns.
Strong candidates will have the following skills:
- Have an accounting/finance background. As the key person in the company’s financial management, you will be expected to be comfortable with numbers and data.
- Familiarity with accounting software, especially Xero and Dext. You will use our financial software to prepare reports and track multiple sources of income and expenses. New Naratif also uses Stripe, Wise, and PayPal – familiarity with those would be a plus.
- Communication and teamwork. You will be coordinating and interacting with other team members in a virtual office, spread across Southeast Asia. You need to be able to communicate and share information effectively over video calls and messaging apps.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills. New Naratif is currently expanding our financial management system. The ideal candidate would be able to help us identify areas of improvement and support our growth with financial analysis.
- Rooted in Southeast Asia. New Naratif is first and foremost a platform for the people of Southeast Asia to imagine and then create a better Southeast Asia. You need to love and understand this region and its history, in all its complexity and diversity. We want you to live in a Southeast Asian country, and be connected to that nation’s communities and everyday experiences.
Due to our remote, online working environment, you have to be responsible, communicate and collaborate well online, and be willing to work from home or your own office. New Naratif uses Trello, Wire, and Google Suite (especially Docs, Sheets, and Meet) to collaborate. You should have native-level English, both written and spoken.
If you’re ready for a new professional challenge, please send an email to PJ Thum, our Managing Director, at pingtjin.thum AT newnaratif.com, with your CV and a cover letter. Please include the names and contact information for two character referees.
This role is in the Operations Department and reports directly to the Managing Director. It is full-time (40 hours/week). Salary is US$750/month.
We regret, due to an ongoing conflict with the government of Singapore, we are unable to hire anyone who resides in Singapore.