About New Naratif
New Naratif is a movement for democracy, freedom of information, and freedom of expression in Southeast Asia. We publish information, empower people to create change, and advocate for progressive values in Southeast Asia. Learn more about us here.
A smooth, well functioning administration is central to a successful organisation – but New Naratif aspires to be so much more than simply well run. We want to become the gold standard for running an organisation in an ethical way. We put employee welfare first and do our best to be transparent and accountable to our team. We want New Naratif to be the best place to work. Our mission is to demonstrate that an organisation based on strong ethical principles is not just viable and sustainable but successful.
About the Job
As Operations Manager, you will be a member of management and a leader of the New Naratif team. Your major responsibilities include:
- Operations: You’ll be in charge of developing smooth communications between New Naratif team members while preserving security. This is no small matter as the team is 100% remote: we currently have 14 team members in nine cities across six Southeast Asian countries. You’ll be thinking up ways we can all work together more effectively and communicate well, while leading efforts to keep operations secure. You’ll lead our multidimensional approach to security, including physical, digital, psychosocial, legal, and financial security.
- Human Resources: We want New Naratif to be an ethical and humane place to work. As the person in charge of HR, you will be primarily responsible for making this happen. In particular, you’ll be in charge of our internal disciplinary and grievance investigation procedures, our mental health policies and mental health meetings, and all other employee welfare. You will, as noted above, also be in charge of psychosocial security.
- Strategy and implementation: Working with the Managing Director and other members of the management team, you’ll help set the direction of New Naratif. You’ll help develop our vision, work out a strategy for implementing it, and lead the implementation of our plans.
Strong candidates will have the following capabilities:
- Operations and Communication. You’re going to be in charge of optimising a company that is entirely remote and spread across Southeast Asia. At best we will only meet in person once or twice a year. You need to help us work and communicate and share information effectively, and develop effective policies and workflows that keep us all on the same page and moving in the same direction.
How would you help New Naratif run and communicate more effectively?
- Leadership and Teamwork. New Naratif has no office. We all work remotely. We’re all passionate, and deeply principled. We aspire to a high level of moral values. We’re here to model best practices as a transparent, ethical, progressive organisation. We’ll demand all this from you and hold you accountable. As one of our leaders, you need to inspire, motivate, and keep everyone on the same page. You’ll be a public ambassador for who we are and what we stand for. You’ll need to offer clear moral leadership in a region where governments will demonise you. You’ll need to do all this over video calls and messaging apps.
How do you lead?
- High Ethical Standards, Compassion, and an Awareness of Mental Health Challenges. We want to be a gold standard for being an ethical company that puts employee welfare first. In particular, our biggest challenge in mental health: activism is dangerous and exhausting work, and the danger of burnout is real. Furthermore, our team members are often attacked and harassed.
What do we need to do to keep healthy and happy?
- Strategic Thinking and Adaptability. New Naratif operates in a constantly shifting landscape. Few could have predicted the changes that have wracked Malaysia or Myanmar in the past two years. We have to adapt to new challenges and seize new opportunities. We’re constantly trying to stay in front of authoritarian governments who are seeking to shut us down. As Operations Manager, you will contribute to our vision, and lead its implementation
Tell us about a complex challenge you faced and how you solved it?
- Rooted in Southeast Asia. New Naratif is first and foremost a platform for the people of Southeast Asia to imagine and then create a better Southeast Asia. You need to love and understand this region and its history, in all its complexity and diversity. You need to be willing to learn, explore, and grow alongside this region. It means you need to look beyond the borders and boundaries which are currently imposed on us. We want you to live in a Southeast Asian country, and be connected to that nation’s communities and everyday experiences.
What does Southeast Asia mean to you?
Due to our remote, online working environment, you have to be responsible, communicate and collaborate well online, and be willing to work from home or your own office. New Naratif uses Trello, Wire, and Google Suite (especially Docs, Sheets, and Meet) to collaborate. You should have native-level English, both written and spoken. Experience with running a company centred around remote work would be heavily preferred.
If you’re ready for a new professional challenge, please send an email to PJ Thum, our Managing Director, at pingtjin.thum AT newnaratif.com, with your CV and a cover letter answering the five questions above. Please include the names and contact information for two character referees.
This role is in the Operations Department and reports directly to the Managing Director. One team member, the Administrative Assistant reports, to this position. It is full-time (40 hours/week). Salary is negotiable and depends on qualifications and previous salary history of the individual.
We regret, due to an ongoing conflict with the government of Singapore, we are unable to hire anyone who resides in Singapore.