New Naratif is a movement for a better Southeast Asia. We are a Southeast Asian member-supported platform for journalism, research, art, and community organisation. We aim to promote freedom of information and the media in the region, publishing stories which explore and explain the often unseen forces which shape our lives. Learn more about us here.
New Naratif publishes articles (research, journalism, comics, videos, podcasts):
- of importance, meaning, and relevance to the people of Southeast Asia;
- which governments/establishment interests discourage or actively suppress from being told, and which the mainstream media cannot or do not want to carry;
- which explain and explore important forces which shape our lives, which help increase or change our understanding of the world around us; which help us understand why we think and act the way we do;
- which transcend narrow boundaries of race, religion, or state, to reflect Southeast Asia as it is lived and experienced by its people.
We invite people who share our values of mutual respect and engagement to join our community and help establish a new publisher. We are seeking warm, empathetic people who can communicate and collaborate well, and work flexible hours. All candidates should have proficient oral and written communications skills in a relevant Southeast Asian language, and be able to communicate (oral and written) in English. Team members may be located anywhere in Southeast Asia, but will have to communicate with the rest of the team using email, WhatsApp, Skype, and Slack. You will be required to attend our weekly editorial/management meetings (in person or via skype), for around 1 hr per week, 3-4 times per month, and give advice and input where necessary. As one of New Naratif’s goals is to nurture Southeast Asian talent, we prefer candidates who are Southeast Asian citizens or permanently living in Southeast Asia.
All positions are part-time and paid. Salary is negotiable. Employees can, and often do, hold multiple roles. Interested parties should email PJ Thum (Managing Director) with a CV and examples of work at pingtjin.thum AT newnaratif.com.
We are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
- Consulting Editors
- Design Editor
Our team of consulting editors are the backbone of our journalism. Each consulting editor has a different geographic area of expertise. In particular, we seek consulting editors who can advise and provide insight into Southeast Asian capitals (e.g. Manila, Hanoi, Vientiane, Dili), major urban centres (e.g. Surabaya, Davao City, Ho Chi Minh City), or majority-minority areas (e.g. Borneo, Kachin State, Southern Thailand).
Our priority areas include: Nusa Tenggara, Mindanao, Cebu, Manila, North Vietnam, South Vietnam.
Our current consulting editors already cover the following areas: Singapore, North Sumatra (including Aceh), West Malaysia, Jakarta, Kalimantan, Sabah, Sarawak, Sulawesi, Maluku, Cambodia.
- Advise us on political risk in the relevant national market with regard to the media and news publication.
- Help us find and commission news stories (in particular, stories written in the relevant local/national language) which meet New Naratif’s criteria (see above).
- Vet completed drafts of commissioned stories on your relevant area of expertise to flag sensitive issues or inaccuracies.
- Find and connect New Naratif with people or organisations that New Naratif may be interested in working with in your local area, including writers, artists, storytellers, researchers, activists, etc.
New Naratif has a distinctive visual design. Working with our Design Director, you will be in charge of extending that visual identity across all our articles and outputs. Some tasks you will do include:
- Collaborate with editors to design visual content for articles and newsletters for maximum engagement (i.e. careful selection of photography, illustrations in consideration with headlines)
- Creatively and strategically re-purpose content into new formats for a range of mediums
- Review article layout, and modification of pages for maximum usability.
- Collateral design, including for example event programs, signage
- Ensure consistent implementation of New Naratif brand standards across all design elements